Front-end loading (FEL) is a development process typical in energy industry projects that provide owners with enough information to make decisions, reduce risk, and maximize a project’s success.
There are 3 common stages of FEL
- FEL-1 is a highly conceptual phase that starts a project. The purpose of this step is to conceptualize the project idea and define alternatives. See Study for More.
- FEL-2 is the next step in planning of the project where alternative designs are evaluated and the best technical solution is developed for a cost estimate. See Pre-FEED for More.
- FEL-3 is sometimes referred to as Front-End Engineering Design and is the last step prior to final approval of a project to proceed into detailed engineering and construction. See FEED for More.
Studies are often required at the start of a project to ensure the best design basis is adopted in later phases; this step can reduce late design changes that are costly and time-consuming. Chiyoda’s extensive experience in engineering and management services, across a vast array of business areas and in every phase of project development, means we can support your project through any number of studies such as:
- Due Diligence
- Refining studies (hydrotreating, vacuum units, alkylation, FCC units, etc.)
- Flare studies
- Export options
- Plant Re-start and Expansion
- Optimization of Open vs Close Cycle Refrigeration
- Application of Chiyoda technologies
Pre-FEED is a preliminary step taken before basic engineering level work and is sometimes undertaken to confirm the technical and economical feasibility of the project. Pre-FEED work is sometimes combined with conceptual work and studies depending on the nature of the project and uncertainties. The outcome of pre-FEED is used as the design basis for the next level of work – FEED or basic engineering.
Chiyoda works with clients during this preliminary phase to develop and optimize their project including:
- Process Scheme
- P&ID Development
- Plot Plan Layouts
- Long Lead Items
- Project Scheduling
- Early Work Plans
- Engagement of third parties for Subcontracting Work
- Commencement of any environmental assessments that will impact permitting
Chiyoda has developed designs to improve efficiency during this stage through the standardization and modularization of gas processing units, pre-engineered and skid mounted hydrocarbon refrigeration technology and extensive assessments of synthesis gas projects.
STANDARD MODULARIZED GAS PROCESSING PLANT
CMR-XP™ PRE-ENGINEERED, STAND ALONE HYDROCARBON REFRIGERATION UNIT
PLANNING / PRE-FEED SYNGAS ASSESSMENT
Front End Engineering Design (FEED)
Front End Engineering and Design (FEED) is basic engineering commencing after the preliminary concept or study phase. During the FEED stage, engineering designs are created so that a reasonably accurate estimate can be made for the cost of constructing the facility. The final FEED package is typically used as the basis for the bidding and execution phase of the project. For this reason, it’s imperative the all client and project requirements are understood and addressed to reduce or eliminate any major changes during future EPC phases.
Chiyoda has built a reputation on developing engineering packages that are technically sound and financeable to assist Clients in moving projects beyond planning and into actual realization. We will help you determine if investment in the next step in detailed engineering work for the potential project is warranted. The aim in this step is to utilize Chiyoda’s past experience and work with innovative technology to achieve optimum design and profitability as well as social and environmental impact.
FEED Packages can include the following services:
- Cost Estimate (approximately +/-10%)
- EPC Schedule (Level 2)
- EPC Execution Plan (or EPF, EPCm)
- Design Basis
- Specifications and Standards
- Equipment Datasheets, Layout, and Lists
- Vendor Assessment
- Plot Plans
- Heat Balances
- Utility Flow Diagrams (UFDs)
- Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Electrical Single Lines
- Permitting and Environmental Plan
- Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOP)
Owner‘s / Licensor’s Engineer
As your Licensor Engineer, Chiyoda’s main goal is to provide engineering services to complete deliverables in your design package, including any non-proprietary equipment, and meet your Client’s technical requirements. We can either work purely as an engineering entity or we can be jointly involved including meeting, gathering information, and staying in direct communication with the Client.
Chiyoda can also work alongside you as an Owner’s Engineer, supporting your project goals and ensuring your interests are protected. We can fill in gaps in your workforce and ensure the final delivery of your project is on-time, under-budget, and of sound engineering.